Writer’s Rules for Storytelling
Why am I just splatting out this thing I found on Facebook? Emma Coates was a storyboard artist for Pixar. The rules seem to be sound, and I want to remember them. Posting them here is handy for me if nothing else. If you’re a writer, you might find them useful too.
- You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.
- You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be very different.
- Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.
- Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.
- Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
- What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
- Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
- Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
- When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up.
- Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
- Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.
- Discount the 1st thing that comes to mind. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th – get the obvious out of the way. Surprise yourself.
- Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likable to you as you write, but it’s poison to the audience.
- Why must you tell THIS story? What’s the belief burning within you that your story feeds off of? That’s the heart of it.
- If you were your character, in this situation, how would you feel? Honesty lends credibility to unbelievable situations.
- What are the stakes? Give us reason to root for the character. What happens if they don’t succeed? Stack the odds against.
- No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on – it’ll come back around to be useful later.
- You have to know yourself: the difference between doing your best & fussing. Story is testing, not refining.
- Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.
- Exercise: take the building blocks of a movie you dislike. How d’you rearrange them into what you DO like?
- You gotta identify with your situation/characters, can’t just write ‘cool’. What would make YOU act that way?
- What’s the essence of your story? Most economical telling of it? If you know that, you can build out from there.
So that way and I broil mine, I prefer broiling and barbecuing but you are going to have to pick that for yourself, there’s not many options past that. As far as the turkey goes, same scenario and tuna which is my fish of choice, I’ll eat salmon and stuff like at night but during the day I eat tuna with safflower mayonnaise and I chop up my cucumbers and I chop of a little onion and I just eat it out of the bowl and that’s how I do that so. Until 2013, I had to file three sets of taxes to account for my being married in Massachusetts but not married http://www.cheap-jordans-shoes-stores56.com
according to the federal government. First, I’d create a dummy set of federal tax returns as a married couple, which http://www.cheapoakleys2013.com
I then used as the template for our state tax returns, which had to be filed as married. Three fake ray ban sunglasses
missions orbited the Earth: Apollo 7, Apollo 9 and Apollo Soyuz. Two missions orbited the moon: Apollos 8 and 10. Apollo 13 made a lunar swingby a malfunction forced NASA to cancel the landing. Six missions actually landed on the moon: Apollos 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17. A few days after losing in the Super Bowl he added a tribal tattoo to chest. It surrounds an existing cheap jerseys
tattoo, following the contours of the marks on his skin and expresses qualities he sees in himself and aspires to. His chest is now marked with the words All Odds and a tribal designs meant as a marker of humility, spiritual growth, and inner strength. Enduring the pain of these large tattoos, his job in a violent sport native to the US and his strong and public defiance of media criticism tie him to an idea of strong, virile, American masculinity. While rooted in South Pacific tattoo design meaning the use of tribal design with meaning chosen by the wearer, worn as a badge of masculinity and placed on the skin rather than conforming to it is uniquely American.Six months from the Olympics, Jana is yet to run close to her best but at least now believes it is within her. Whether that happens in time for London remains to be seen, but she believes she has reached a point where she will be stronger and faster by next year’s world championships and will yet compete at the Rio Olympics.Many of us tend to ignore the fact that textiles used to be a major industry in many developing countries. Used to, that is, until it collapsed under the weight of tons of ratty sweatshirts and pieces of NFL merchandise featuring teams that lost the Super Bowl. One study concluded that charitable donations caused wholesale football jerseys
the clothing industry across Africa to suffer a 40 percent decline in production and a 50 percent jump in unemployment from 1981 to 2000.”It looks like my only options are UNICEF commercials or helping unload clothing donations.”